Bay Circuit Trail

The idea for the Bay Circuit Trail & Greenway first arose in 1929. It would be an “outer Emerald Necklace,” proponents said—a greenbelt that would mirror the famous string of Frederick Law Olmsted-designed parks threading through urban Boston—and would provide open space for the metropolitan area’s quickly expanding population. Over the next several decades, various public and private parks and reservations were established in the area between what is now Route 128 and Interstate 495, but they failed to keep pace with commercial and residential development. In the 1980s, interest in the project was renewed, and in 1990 the Bay Circuit Alliance formed to make the trail and greenway a reality. The BCA has focused on linking segments of the Bay Circuit Trail, which provides a place for recreation while ensuring the protection of open space in the region by adding more “pearls” to the “emerald necklace.” Beginning at Plum Island and ending in Kingston Bay, the trail and greenway is located close to 4 million people in Eastern Massachusetts. The trail provides close-to-home recreation including: walking, biking, snowshoeing, horseback riding and cross-country skiing. Many sections of the trail are accessible by the MBTA commuter rail and other public transit systems.


Part of the Bay Circuit Trail passes through Weston on WFTA trails, connecting between Lincoln and Wayland through Ogilvie and Jericho Town Forests and the Rail Trail.


To learn more, check out this WCVB Chronicle video about the Bay Circuit Trail, and visit the Bay Circuit Trail website and its interactive trail map.

© 2019 Weston Forest and Trail Association, Inc.

P.O. Box 665, Weston, MA 02493